Lots of fashionable things happen in September. Not only does September kick off a new season of style, there's fall fashion week in New York and September 1, marks the birth of one of my favorite designers and stylists, Rachel Zoe. Eight years ago, in September with the premiere of a new season of The Rachel Zoe Project, and to celebrate the the launch of Rachel Zoe’s collection and the birth of first son Skylar that same year, I posted "10 Fashion Lessons Rachel Zoe has Taught Us All About Personal Style" on my first blog The Artful Shopper. Since that time I have moved to L.A. to discover my dream to relaunch my blog and biz and within a year of moving to L.A., never in a million years did I think it would happen, but I had the chance to meet my style icon! So to celebrate Rachel Zoe's September 1st birthday once again and the fashion milestones she has helped inspire, I’d like to share some of her timeless lessons for getting dressed.
SHOP RACHEL ZOE FALL 2018 NEW ARRIVALS
The 70’s Is Not To Be Ignored. Rachel Zoe’s style has reminded us time and again of that the edged-out rock ’n roll looks and glittery Dance-Fever-aesthetic of the seventies have made many a fashion icon in its day; names like Ali McGraw, Diane Von Furstenberg, Mick and Bianca Jagger are all muses to be admired and copied when given the chance. The era of “excess” and disco, was not all short-shorts, big feathered hair and sequins. She’s adopted the statement pieces of bell-bottoms, fringe and high-glam overall, as her signature. What’s more, she’s taught us that if you are a lover of fashion, fashion in a lil’ excess can be good! At her recent style event I attended at Bumble Hive here in L.A. last March she reminded us when it comes to personal style always be true to you. And she walks the walk When discussing style icons with hosts Erin Foster and fashion editorial director Nicky Deam, Ms. Zoe said: “Your most glamorous self might be your favorite jeans and a cute top and a great pair of boots, flats or whatever! That could be your most glamorous self and that’s how you feel your best. Glamour should not [necessarily] be associated with gold, sequins.” Read on to hear specifically what else Mama Fash has done to make us all sit up, listen and unable to look away.
2) Supersize It! When it comes to shades, maxis, baubles and bling, more really is more. When she first came into the limelight, styling Nicole Richie, Mischa Barton and Lindsey Lohan, Zoe bowled us over with uber-fabulous, oversized shades and billowy fabrics languidly draped over herself and those she styled. We noticed and haven’t looked away since. Her own line features exquisite attention to detail like the Elinor Jumpsuit I'm wearing below. I took a cue from Zoe and maximized the pearl detail with an oversized ring and matching pearl clutch. Zoe has said herself, "You know that rule 'When in doubt take something off?' for me I just put on more."
SHOP RACHEL ZOE JUMPSUITS AND ROMPERS
3) Play with Proportion: Voluminous on top, go streamlined on the bottom. Flared and full on the bottom, go slinky and sexy on top. Case in point: Tell me if this sounds familiar. A simple ultra-skinny pencil jean and a a filmy floral blouse, accessorized to perfection with a shearling vest, giant chandelier earrings and larger-than-life sunnies. It’s the everygirl Fashionista uniform! You may have even pictured Zoe herself. Another oft-imitated look: the easy, high-waisted sailor pant, a streamlined top, wedges and a big bucket bag of course. Zoe taught us that the “everything in moderation” maxim can and should be ignored -- you just have to know when to pull back. Sound complicated? Well, hire a stylist or read all her tips on how to pull of the latest looks on The Zoe Report! They don’t call her the best for nothing.
4) Menswear belongs to the girls! If there is any doubt to this statement just look to the double-breasted blazer dress stars like Jennifer Lopez and Priyanka Chopra have worn. I have donned the new powersuit myself. No one pairs feminine shapes with the sharp lines of traditional menswear to make a gorgeous garment that is all-girl better than Zoe. Check out her blazers, dresses and trousers to see just how well she handles menswear.
5) Know Your Vintage: Zoe brought names like Van Cleef & Arpels and Judith Leiber to the red carpet year after year, and then with her show name- dropped them with such reverence and regularity, we’re all using them at the dinner table. Read: “Please pass the Van Cleef."( I wish!) Be sure to check out FabSugar's awesome tips from Rachel on how to wear vintage. She even included a very vintage kimono in her Spring 2017 Box of Style shown above.
6) Aim for the Sky, Sky-high Platforms that is! Five inches on the red carpet and off seems to be the golden rule. Wearers of her clothing line can attest, as heel after heel teters coolly above the rest.
SHOP RACHEL ZOE SANDALS, PUMPS & HEELS
7) Friend of Faux: Faux Fur is a Must! Boleros, shrugs and shaggy vintage vests --luxury is a wardrobe staple, and its cool to be kind, so faux is a do! I would bet there are probably more pics of Zoe at an evening affair or just heading out in the fall with fur on than not. And I just loved when she included a faux stole in her Winter Box of Style. You can sign up to receive a discount on your first Box of Style with my code here.
8) Be a Groupie for Fashion: Like Penny Lane in her 70’s-flare-jeaned glory, Rachel’s signature styles is a mix of her fabulous influences. She takes it all in –- those fabulous influences and the fashion that surrounds her daily, mixes things up in her own beautiful mind, and out comes her own brand of boho chic! Remember the episode of The Zoe Project where Rachel was waiting backstage at Marc Jacobs and dared to try on the pumps that had just come off the runway? She’s a fan of the greats and isn’t afraid to show it and teach us who reigns supreme.
9) We "Die" for Fashion and Chanel is Divine – Whether encountering the influence of the venerable Coco and vintage Chanel or a new design by the daring Karl Lagerfeld, Zoe has uttered her signature expression “I die” to demonstrate the power the all-powerful House of Chanel has on its devout followers. (Just check out the season 2 episode of The Rachel Zoe Project on Bravo where Rachel visits Coco Chanel's Paris apartment "dies" and goes to heaven.) And so, we fell in love with her relatable swooning and then stole her slang for ourselves. May-jor! Beyond that, fashion is an art form for self-expression which is the main message of Artfullyblog, and it's history should be celebrated and adored.
10) Reinvent the classics. Menswear, maxis, floppy hats and big shades. It’s all there in our fashion history from the 70’s and beyond. Zoe has taught us more than anything to get schooled in fashion and reinterpret it your way as us bloggers and followers of fashion are doing now to try to make our mark. For example, basic black is anything but boring when reimagined. As a a close-study of fashion, she’s been a teacher for us all; the groupie turned stylist, turned designer, turned sage. Get a piece of her fashion empire for yourself or just browse her collection for inspiration "It's everything."